AS FEATURED ON DOMINO, THROW A FAB FETE WITH THIS BOURBON MISO SEA BASS LETTUCE CUPS RECIPE FROM CATCH NYC. IF YOU MAKE IT AT HOME, TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #EMMEATS SO WE CAN SEE!
- 1 cup white miso
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 8 ounce sea bass
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 quart canola oil
- 1 ounce kataifi dough (shredded phyllo dough)
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- 8 pieces gem lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Add the miso, honey, bourbon, and rice vinegar to a small bowl and mix until combined.
- Cut the sea bass into eight pieces each roughly the size of and length of a thumb. Add the sea bass to the miso marinade and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the sea bass to a small sheet pan and bake in the preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes, until darkly caramelized.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and button mushrooms, soy sauce, and sugar to a small pot.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce has reduced to a thick glaze.
- Heat the canola oil to 360º F.
- Fry the kataifi in the heated oil until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- When ready to plate the cups, cut a circle out of the center of each lettuce leaf using a three-inch metal ring mold.
- Place a small spoonful of the mushroom mixture onto each piece of lettuce, followed by a pinch of the crispy kataifi, a slice of the cooked sea bass, and a pinch of the slice scallion
- Serve immediately.
A sweet, acidic sauvignon blanc will complement the salty miso and tender fish.